Tuesday, September 11, 2007

I've wanted to write this story down before it gets lost in the vast wasteland that is my long term memory and I've finally found a minute or two. Being the faithful church goers that we are, I had set my alarm for 6 AM Sunday morning so we could go with some friends for their baby's blessing--a big sacrifice as our ward didn't meet till 3:00 and it was my only day to sleep in! The babies had woken up but they weren't crying so I figured I'd get a quick shower before opening that pandora's box. That was my first mistake.

Clean and refreshed I thought I was ready to face the task of bathing and dressing twin one year olds, that is, until I opened the door. I was greeted by the squeeling smiles that have grown on me over the last year. It only took a moment before I noticed something was amiss. The first clue was X'2's naked bottom. The second was the smell. Then I noticed X'1. He was covered in what looked like chocolate. Yes, sadly, there was no chocolate anywhere near their bedroom.

Somehow, X'2 had managed to get his diaper off and pushed it under the bed between the boxes of diapers before going to bed! It was brand new, clean as could be. Miraculously, he was equally clean. Completely unbelievable had you seen his brother. X'1 had caked on poop on his hands, face, tummy and mashed into his hair. He didn't stop there! He'd spread it over every toy in the crate, wiped it on the walls and painted a nice fresco on the back of their door. He was grinning from ear to ear as he reached for me and thought it was the funniest thing I'd ever done when I yelped in horror and recoiled from him.

I put both boys in the bath and scrubbed at least a few layers of epidermis off before changing the water and letting them play for awhile. I woke up Riley and had him sit in the bathroom watching them while I tried in vain to scrub the crusty masses from the carpet in their room. I scrubbed for two hours before I had a complete mental breakdown. Church forgotten I woke up my husband, didn't even explain the situation, just kicked his butt out of bed and climbed in behind him. I slept till one in the afternoon!

Sweet husband that he is, my dear Cody had washed and disinfected every toy in the box, whether or not they appeared to have chocolate smeared all over them.

It may be funny now, but it took me a few days to recover from this wonderful experience. Six kids and it wasn't till these two that I've ever had anyone play in their own excrement! Till now. Lucky me. Does anyone ever survive twins?

1 comment:

Roop said...

Ok...can't stop lauging, I know at the time , for you, it wasn't funny.....but now look back....as gross as that is, think of how much you will have to "blackmail" them with. JK...however, as they age it does make them think twice about theor behaviour (We have a close family friend that did this too at a young age, and now he's embarrassed, but laughs about it too)